Friday, May 4, 2012

a glimpse into the life of a flight attendant.

before i quit my job to become a teacher 
i was a flight attendant.

this information, when i was still in the career and now,
has always brought on very amusing responses.

"oh wow i've never met one of you before."
"aren't you afraid of dying?"
"can you get me free flights?"

and almost always,

"what's that like???"


what it's like,
is a job being a waitress in a very confined space 
with a whole lot of extra rules you are required to enforce.
oh and you're responsible for the safety of all these people who think you're their servant.
it's not exactly glamorous.
not anymore at least.


it is fun?
sure. sometimes.
you really can't beat all the perks and free travel around the world!
there is nothing like the perks.
and there's definitely a feeling you get walking through an airport or into a hotel with your crew,
like you're doing something special.
that is fun.

and other times you want to pull your hair out because you can't believe how ignorant and rude and stupid people can be.
and you're tired of ridiculously long work days full of delays and demanding people.

but yes, sometimes it's fun.

"do i miss it?"

no not really.
i miss the perks, of course.
and i miss some great people who i worked with.
and goofing around with the crew while we're inevitably waiting for something.
there were fun times for sure.


but being a flight attendant,
it's hard work.
the hours are crazy.
there are always rude people.
and the pay isn't exactly a lot.

flight attendants deserve a lot of respect and appreciation for doing what they do.
so be kind to yours, please. :)

 Katie Virginia

3 comments:

Jess said...

Well I've never been on a plane, but when I do get on one...in July...I will make sure to be super nice to the flight attendants! haha :)

I don't know if I could do it - being away from home so much...but I bet it was fun while it lasted!

Happy weekend, girl! YEAAAUH!
xo

Fran said...

aaaaaamen. to all of the above.

from a current flight attendant :)

Anonymous said...

Before reading this, I have always had an appreciation for flight attendants. I felt so bad for them because they were constantly traveling and I'm sure it's a crazy job. I always have been kind to those on my flights and made sure to smile. I've had some AMAZING attendants on my flights and it just makes me appreciate them even more. I can only imagine how rude people can be to them.
I could never do that job, so I definitely look up to you for that!